NEDPA works closely with other agricultural and business organizations to collaborate on common interests and issues. A few examples:
• Initiated the formation of the Animal Well-Being Workgroup, composed of farmers, milk cooperatives, NYAAC, NYFB, ADADC and other industry partners.
• Initiated the formation of the Agriculture Workforce Development Coalition in response to interpreting and complying with labor laws and regulations.
• Partnered with NYCAMH, NYFB and PRO-DAIRY in “roadshow” to help farms prepare for OSHA Dairy LEP. NEDPA participates in a monthly conference call with OSHA.
• Following an increased number of manure run-off issues in the Spring of 2014, worked with industry partners and NYDEC to hold educational meetings across the state.
• Collaborated with like-minded dairy organizations from other states to successfully remove the proposed dairy supply management program from the 2014 Farm Bill.
• Established relationship and dialog with Dept. of Homeland Security and ICE on immigration enforcement activity.
• Became a member of the American Dairy Coalition to join forces with other dairy organizations in order to have a stronger voice in Washington on immigration, GMOs and other national issues.
• Collaborate with the state’s vegetable, horticulture, and apple industries on issues that impact all agricultural commodities.
Perhaps the most valuable asset NEDPA offers is the members themselves--progressive, forward-looking, like-minded dairy producers and industry professionals who are enthusiastic about the dairy industry and its future. NEDPA programs and conferences provide opportunities to interact with this valuable network to share ideas, ask questions and debate issues.